Tuesday, December 20, 2011


Titanium Backup - **Rooted users only**  If you are a rom-a-holic like I am, then you know how much work it can be to get everything back on your phone after flashing a rom. I typically run about 75 apps on my phone between utilities and apps.  That is a lot of setup and configuration to do if you need to do it once.  Try doing that every other day like I do when I really get rolling with new roms!  The solution I have found is Titanium Backup. I have been running this since I started with the My Touch 3G. 

Titanium Backup gives you the ability to backup your phone to the SD card as well as Dropbox for off-device backups.  I backup my phone nightly with the paid version of the app and the built in scheduler.  I like that I can delete apps and restore them with the data.  If I wipe my phone and put a new rom on I simply restore the apps and data.  Most of the apps are just like I had them when they were backed up with all of the settings and data intact.  There are a few apps that do not keep all of the settings but there are not many. 

I usually don't restore system apps just because they cause force close errors.  However, TB has some settings (marked in green) that are fine to restore.  You can restore your accounts and wifi connections for instance.  Titanium Backup also allows you to freeze apps that maybe you cannot remove *cough* bloatware *cough* and prevent it from running. This is helpful on apps that cause your battery to drain quickly.   Additionally, you can remove some apps that may be otherwise un-removable.  

As much as I love the app, the interface is a little strange. I use the Batch operations all of the time but that is only selectable by hitting Menu>Batch.  A small irritation but something that I would have hoped would be fixed by now. Though interfaces are not this apps strong point, execution is.  I highly recommend TB for all users.  This way at least you know your apps are backed up. With the Dropbox feature you can even restore to other devices.

The free version is great but does require you to restore apps individually and scheduling is limited. If you have a ton of apps this is well worth the $6.98 for the paid version. I start my restore and let it go. If you only want to test it and don't care about spending the time to restore then the free version will be just fine for you.  Go download it today.


(Rooted users only)


No comments:

Post a Comment