Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Autozone - I have been having a terrible time lately with cars.  With myself, my wife and 2 teenage kids driving, keeping the "fleet" on the road has been a real pain.  As I become a self taught mechanic I have found my app for today, the AutoZone app.  You may not have an AutoZone store around you to visit and if you do not I am sorry but I think this is the automotive store app that others should try and match features with.

The app is quick and when you first start up it allows you to add your vehicles in and store them for quick access to finding parts.  You can also find stores with the app.  It uses your phones GPS to locate stores in the general area you are in.  Even with the Vibrant's broken down GPS I was able to find stores around me with ease.  You then can save the stores so that when you search for parts you can lookup availability.  I had to make a roadside repair for my son's truck last week and I was able to locate the nearest store with the location and mapping then go pickup the part knowing it was in stock

After you have the essentials filled out you have Find Parts, Find Accessories and Repair Guides as options.  Finding parts is simple enough. You can manually enter the name of the part you are looking for or you can drill down through the list of categories.  I was looking for Starters for a 1989 Ford F-150 pickup.  I went to Starting and charging then Starters.  I was presented with a list and if it was in stock at my local store.  The search is really fast. You can add it to your list and/or click on it to see specs. If you add it to your list the item spins up to the Shopping list menu option. Clicking on that menu shows you your items and price including sales tax! You can long press to delete or change quantity. Did I mention how fast this app is?

Repair Guides comes up with a list of common repairs that you can perform and schematics of the parts. Some sections have removal and installation instructions. AutoZone's website has some grat how-to videos as well and maybe one day those will be integrated into the app.  But for now the part breakdowns and instructions are a nice mobile way to work on your vehicle.

If you are a weekend shade tree mechanic or even a serious mechanic that wants to know prices for parts quickly this app is definitely worth a look.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.autozone.mobile&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5hdXRvem9uZS5tb2JpbGUiXQ..

No comments:

Post a Comment