Tuesday, December 20, 2011


Groove IP - I have a very limited amount of minutes to use every month. At this point I hardly use my minutes but I decided that I should look into using VOIP (Voice Over IP) to try and make some of my calls.  Since I use Google Voice as my phone number the obvious choice to allow me to use my data instead of my minutes was Groove IP by SNRB Labs.  I bought mine from the Amazon marketplace since it was actually a $1 cheaper than the Android market.

With Groove IP you login to your Google Voice account through the app and you are then presented with a slew of options.  You can specify how the dialers work, where the call logs are shown and when to use Groove IP.  For instance, you can turn off 3G/4G usage and only have it run on Wifi. You can specify hours that it will run.  Since I am on wifi most of the time I only have mine work across wifi connections.  Today in fact I was on the phone for well over an hour but it didn't count against my 500 minutes a month.  Since I was on wifi it also didn't count against my "unlimited" 2GB a month data plan.  Not bad for a $2 app.  It won't take long to pay for itself.  

If you have a limited amount of minutes each month and use Google Voice to call you need to go download Groove IP today.

No comments:

Post a Comment