Tuesday, December 20, 2011


Swype -  (Not in the market - http://beta.swype.com/) One thing I love about Android is the ability to customize almost everything in the system. Case in point, the keyboard. While iPhone users are stuck with one stock keyboard, us Android users have dozens to choose from. My favorite on the phone is Swype. It is not available in the Market but can be downloaded as a beta trial from Swype's website.  It is great because it allows you to put your finger on the first letter of a word and drag your finger over the remaining letters in the word then release to get the result. For example, if I want to spell Android I would put my finger on the letter A and drag around the keyboard over all of the letters in order. I then release my finger and it puts android in. I then go to the next word doing the same thing.  It auto spaces if you leave that feature on.  Double spaces add periods automatically.  It has double characters on the keys so by long pressing the keys you get the secondary character.  This makes typing even faster since you do not need to keep switching between the alpha keyboard back to the numeric one. I use this feature all of the time.

There are so many features of Swype I cannot possibly mention them all.  It is worth trying it out. It is free and even comes preloaded on some devices. My old My Touch 3G had it factory loaded as did my Samsung Tab and Galaxy S Vibrant.  You will see how efficient this way of typing really is.


No comments:

Post a Comment