Wednesday, December 28, 2011


IMDb - I watch movies and TV shows while surfing the web or social apps on my phone or tablet all of the time.  And while I may not always be paying 100% attention to either activity, I do find myself looking up the shows on IMDb (Internet Movie Database) to see what other shows the actors were in or even look for goofs and trivia about the movie or show.  The Android IMDb app is a great way to look that information up. The app is much like the website (http://www.imdb.com/) in both look and content.  You have catagories at the top you can look through, there is a search bar, a new releases area and notifications section.  The app also has Featured Items and your IMDb watchlist.  

I tend to search 99% of the time that I use the app since I am watching something that may not be a new movie.  By searching a title or for an actor you can come up with many items very quickly. In searching for movies for example, I find the title and release date along with some pictures of the actors or from the movie. There are plot details category listings for the movie (Drama, comedy sci-fi...) followed by the actors. By clicking on an actor you can find other films they have been in or things they have directed. Writers and all cast members can be expanded to gather that information.  Under the Did You Know? section there is goofs, trivia and quotes.You can even buy the movies from Amazon there.  You can see movie trailers, share the links or add to your watchlist for any updates and news.  This is the app for any TV or movie buffs to have.

Sitting at home the other night my wife and I both were searching for some information on a movie that we were talking about, her on her PC and me on my phone.  I was able to get the info slightly faster than she was even launching the app and typing on the Android keyboard.  I find myself looking for one thing and going down a rabbit hole of searches relating from one actor to another.  My youngest son uses the app to try and find the goofs and point them out.  It has become a family app for sure.

The app is free and can be run on phones or tablets.  Most trailers are in HD.  If you are a movie or trivia buff then this app will keep you busy for quite a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment