Thursday, January 12, 2012


ClockworkMod Tether (no root) - We all have (or most of us) these smartphones with data plans these days. We all likely have a laptop with no data plan. So wouldn't it make sense to be able to put these two things together and use your data plan for not only checking in at the local Starbucks on your phone but also responding back to emails on your laptop? As you may know the carriers frown on this. They would rather sell you a more expensive plan for tethering on your phone. Go figure.

If you would like to put it to "the man" and tether your computer to your phone but not have to pay an additional tethering fee ClockworkMod Tether is the app for you.  This app tethers your PC, Mac or Linux computer to your Android phone without needing root access or sending red flags out to your carrier that you are actually using the data on a computer.  Even better, it should work with any carrier and is not blockable. There is a piece of software that will need to be installed on your computer and the app on your phone. A data cable and some drivers are required too.  But before you say this is too complicated go to the market page or the developers page for the complete walk through.  It is very easy and painless.  

Once you have the drivers installed and the app installed on your phone and computer, you are ready to start tethering.  I started the PC app first then I turned the phone app on.  You will know it is working from the phone when you see the sent and received data readings show up.  I was surprised it let me run the app with my wifi still connected on the phone.  Other tethering apps normally force you off of it.  Be aware that even though the carriers cannot detect a laptop or device other than your phone is downloading data, that your usage may be an indicator to them that something is up.  I would say this is best used in short bursts or in emergency situations more than a daily thing.  But it is up to you how you use it and as always carriers may throttle your usage after you hit your cap, limit on that unlimited data plan. That being said I am happy that I didn't have to root my phone and I can connect my laptop on those rare occasions where I need something and have no wifi available.  

The app is written by Koushik Dutta who also publishes the ClockworkMod rom app. If you have rooted and put a rom on a phone you likely installed this at some point.  He is an important part of the Android development community. I say that because the app is free to download and try but the full version is $4.99. If you travel and have a need for this type of app I would say it is a good investment.  I know there are other apps that allow you to tether and may have more bells and whistles.  But buying this app you are getting an app that will also help support future development endeavors for more than just tethering.  You can follow him on Google+ too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment