Sunday, April 15, 2012

Review: Invisible Shield by Zagg


Are you one of those people that likes to run around naked? I guess I am.  I wasn't always this way but since I bought my Samsung Vibrant a few years ago I have preferred to use my phones without a case, you know...naked. Since buying my Galaxy Nexus I have been concerned that the glass might get scratched if I drop it. I bought an OtterBox case but I ultimately didn't like the flaps or the additional size.  It also collected lint and dust like it was a magnet.  So I have bought an Invisible Shield by Zagg.
I know many people do not like to cover the glass with clear shields because most of them are anything but clear. I have used some horrible ones over the years. When I bought my Vibrant I had an Invisible Shield put on my screen and I loved it.  It is still on there today and now that my son is using it I am less worried about him destroying the screen. With my Galaxy Nexus I keep the phone in my pants pocket. I have trained myself not to put anything else in my left pocket to avoid scratches.  But there are times when even dirt might put that dreaded first scratch across the screen. I think the tricks to getting a good screen cover is buying a quality product and having the installation done right.

I have had both of my Invisible Shields put on at a kiosk in the mall.  The vendor I use is an authorized seller. They have fitted shields built for all types of phones and devices.  For the Galaxy Nexus they only had a screen shield in stock. I plan on getting a car battery an extended 3800mAh battery soon so I was fine with not covering the back of the phone.  For my Vibrant they also sell a complete case cover as well as a screen protector.  In fact, Zagg sells protection for many different types
SGS Epic 4G
of devices including phones, ebook readers, cameras and laptops.

Zagg offers a lifetime replacement warranty on their screen protectors.  However, the materials they use were developed originally for military helicopter blades so it is likely you will never need to have it fixed. The installer sprays a liquid lightly on the screen (ok, I freaked out a little the first time they did it) and they spray the shield. It is placed on the screen and the excess liquid is squeezed out. Once they are done you are told not to put it in a case or pocket for 24 hours. Unlike other products there are no hazing or clarity issues.  The Invisible shield does not hamper the screens like cheaper variants. Having it professionally installed means there should be no bubbles or dirt under the film for eternity.

SGS Galaxy Nexus
With the screen on in the sunlight the shield does not block the visibility. I can only tell that the protection is on there when the screen is off.  The surface is smooth and since the shields are fitted, they go to the edges very well. On my Vibrant I noticed it didn't fit all the way to the edge and some dirt would collect around it, though with a simple cleaning it would wipe away and the dirt did not get under the Invisible Shield.  With the Nexus, the film goes all the way to both sides. The only place where there is no protection is the area at the top where the speaker and front facing camera is located.  The area is so small I doubt it will be a problem. My Vibrant has the same type of coverage and the screen is not scratched where the shield does not cover because the edge of the phone is there to protect it.

The Invisible Shield installed on my phone cost only $21 plus tax.  My Vibrant was about the same price.  The full case for the Vibrant would have been $34 plus tax.  Still not bad considering that was to have it installed and warranted.  I would pay someone $20 just for me not to have to install it!  Having it done right is worth it.  Zagg sells many different Invisible Shield models and styles.  Check out their site to see if they have one to fit your device.  Even if you have a case but the screen is unprotected, you are risking your touch screen every day. I know that not everyone has a seller to put their Invisible Shield on, but the process seems simple enough. Zagg also has a support area on their site with help and videos.
In the last two years I have had scuff marks show up on the Invisible Shield but they all have wiped off.  I like knowing that I can take a towel or more abrasive cleaning cloth (like my shirt) to wipe the screen clean. I work on my cars and in the yard fairly often so my screen being dirty happens all of the time. Now I can wipe it off without fearing sand and dirt will etch the glass.

I know our own Derek De La Cruz loves phone cases and does a great job reviewing them all.  I have read the reviews of different cases he has done, but I know that personally I will not use a case for more than a few days before becoming frustrated with them.  I have decided to go the other route and not use cases, but it would be foolish not to protect my investment somehow.  I put the OtterBox case on my son's phone and used the Invisible Shield screen protector instead of the one that came with the OtterBox. I feel that even with a case, having a screen protector is a smart idea.  What do you think about cases and screen protection?  Sound off below.

No comments:

Post a Comment